FarWide Alert: Colorado Secondary Draw 2021
Secondary Big Game Draw
Applications accepted June 16 – 30, 2021 8pm MT. Check available hunts & instructions:
Secondary Draw Application Period
Secondary Draw applications are accepted June 16 – 30, 2021 8pm MT. Apply at CPWShop.com.
The secondary big game draw has replaced the leftover draw
Hunters who don’t draw a license in the primary draw should be aware they still have the opportunity to draw a license in the secondary big game draw. The secondary draw replaced the old leftover draw.
Most elk, deer, pronghorn and bear licenses not issued through the primary draw will now be made available in a secondary draw that is open to anyone, whether they applied for the primary draw or not.
The new system means increased opportunity. The old leftover draw only offered deer and elk licenses and was only available to customers who participated in the primary draw. The secondary draw offers two more species: bear and pronghorn licenses, in addition to deer and elk licenses, and is open to all customers whether they applied in the primary draw or not.
The new system provides preference for youth hunters. Youth hunters have 100% preference in the secondary draw. What does this mean? The secondary draw processes all youth application choices prior to processing adult choices. A hunt could be completely drawn by youth before the adult application stage of the draw.
What still applies?
- The application fee. You’ll still be charged a fee for applying, whether or not you draw a license. The $7 resident and $9 nonresident application fees applies per species for the secondary draw as well as the primary draw.
- No primary draw? No problem. You do not have to have applied in the primary big game draw to apply in the secondary draw.
- A qualifying license is required.
- No preference points. You cannot use or apply for a preference point in the secondary draw.
- No group hunts. You cannot apply as a group in the secondary draw.
Any licenses remaining after the secondary draw (except for Ranching for Wildlife licenses) will be placed on the leftover list and available for purchase on leftover day, starting Aug. 3 at 9 a.m. MT.
Applications for both the primary and secondary draws are only available online or by phone.
NOTE: “Unsuccessful options” have been removed for the draw application process. Over-the-counter unlimited licenses will be available for purchase starting Aug. 3 at 9 a.m.