Big Game Hunting
Big game hunting is a lot more than bringing the prey down for fun. It is a cult in itself and a way of life for many pro hunters in the US. Big Game Hunting refers to the hunting of large game animals like lions, leopards, bears, elks, caribous, bison, bucks etc. Big games are a hunter’s pride and have several conservation benefits. They are also preferred for their tusks, bones, horns, furs, organs, and other by-products.
Moose, bison, elks, kudu, antelope, hartebeest, mule deer, turkey, hogs, and white-tailed deer are among the biggest games hunted in North America.
Big Game Hunting – A Tradition
The tradition of big game hunts goes back thousands of years when large herds of mammoths and bison were hunted for survival. Destruction of habitats, human predation, and climate changes are responsible for the elimination of most large prey in the 20th century. Thereafter, in-depth research, management of the environment, and conservation of wildlife species led to more streamlined big gaming patterns.
Popular Big Games in the US
1. Whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus) is the most popular land animal hunted in North America. They have a timid personality, muscular bodies, a keen sense of sight, and acute hearing properties. The mature bucks found in the South can weigh up to 300 lbs, while the ones in the North are about 100-125 lbs in weight.
2. Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) is the strongest, smartest, and most adaptable bear species found in North America. It can run at 30 mph speed, has a strong sense of smell but cannot see very distinctly. It weighs between 500-800 lbs.
3. Cougar (Puma concolor) are slender, agile, and adaptable to their habitats. The stealth of cougars is beyond compare. On average, adult males weigh 150 lbs. while females weigh 121 lbs.
4. Bison (American Bison) is found in abundance in the open Prairies. They are the biggest North American game animals after the walrus. Large bulls are very gregarious in behavior and weigh up to 2,000 pounds and over.
5. Mule deer (Odocoileus Hemionus) has a powerful built, is stocky, stout, and larger in size than the whitetail deer. Their keen senses and a strong awareness of their surroundings make them difficult for big game hunting. Mature mule deer can weigh between 150-400 lbs.
Big Game Hunting Animals – The Difficult Ones
North American big game animals like elands, elks, mountain goats, and leopards are very difficult to shoot and bring down. Roan and sable, two different species of antelopes, cape buffaloes and bears are equally difficult to hunt. Big game hunters must shoot with high accuracy and drop them as fast as possible.
For instance, leopard attacks arise at very high speed. It can be very tough for an average hunter to remain level headed when the battle is in heat. The expert guides at farwide.com are apprehensive about wounded leopards and make sure their clients are safe around them. They are equally well-versed in handling the other most difficult big game animals.
Top States for Big Game Hunting In the US
Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and Colorado are the hotspots for big game hunting whereas trophy mountain lions are concerned. These states have the highest concentration of mountain lions and boast of the best success rates. Hunters coming in from other places find it easier to get their licenses here. The other popular big game hunting species are found in the following states:
|Bear||Alaska, Arizona, North Carolina, Northern Wisconsin, Idaho|
|Deer||Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Mississippi, Texas, South Carolina, Georgia|
|Elk||Colorado, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Washington|
|Hog||South Carolina, Oklahoma, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Texas|
|Turkey||Texas, Florida, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee, Kansas|
|Cougar||Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona|
Expert Tips for Big Game Hunting
Professional hunters with decades of experience recommend some basic tips for big game hunting.
- Hunting in the early season: Bucks and other deer species are under less pressure in the early rut and can be found in herds. The food plots are flush and green. Deer can be found feeding close to their habitats and water sources. This is not the case in early November.
- Understanding and connecting clues: Mature bowhunters look for the bedding areas and feeding grounds of their prey. Once they find them, it’s easier to lie in wait and shoot their quarry.
- Paying attention to the smallest detail in the game plan: It is important to take stock of every small step in big game hunting. Wait patiently for the prey to make mistakes. It’s recommended to hunt them at the place where they’re headed, not at the place of their spotting. The wind direction should be studied to assess the stand to be selected for hunting.
Big Game Hunting With FarWide
Hunters need to research and plan big game hunt trips in advance. This requires filterable data that matches their personal needs. With decades of experience on their side, the teams at Farwide.com offer in-depth hunting knowledge and technology expertise to guide amateur and professional trophy hunters. They have the latest news about seasons, licenses, bag limits, and tags. Their expert advice comes in handy for gear selection, safety measures, arms, equipment, and local knowledge. The Freely downloadable FarWide App provides exclusive web maps of hunt areas. You can use them to prescout your hunting location, save waypoints and save, share the information easily. Download the App to access all information on big game hunting to make your trip more enjoyable and memorable.